Yes, yes I suck at posting on even a semi regular basis.
I often find myself reading something interesting, or having some profoundly witty thought, and saying "Self, you should blog that". But it never quite happens. I spend an inordinate amount of time on the computer because of work (and most of the video games I play are on the computer), and I have been finding as I get older I crave the real world, with it's 3D graphics and surround sound capabilities.
So, mini update as I make an effort over the next couple of weeks to be a little more diligent at posting my meandering thoughts.
Kickboxing
Yes, I'm still there. I had a nice powwow with the Sensei and co-owner of my dojo. I admitted my enthusiasm was waning, and I had a million excuses as to why the time and location didn't work. He challenged me to go twice a week for 4 weeks. Mini goals, so as not to overload my poor anxiety ridden brain.
So I did it. I've been twice a week religiously for almost 6 weeks now. (I think I failed one week, but it was a long weekend, the dojo was closed, I lost track of time, the dog ran away, the car broke down, and the apocalypse was nigh. It wasn't my fault.) Have I lost any weight? I'm told by my nearest and dearest Yes, but my clothes and scale say No. What I can tell you, dear anonymous internet, is that I can accomplish things today that I didn't have a hope in hell of doing 3 months ago.
I passed my Level 1 test, which means I'm more coordinated than a slug. I partook in some crazy seminar of kickboxing insanity, which included a 12 minute iron man workout (I am not ashamed to say I almost passed out, having stressed my heart into an arrhythmia). I did manage to do 3/4s of it before bowing to my physical weakness and sitting down until my vision returned. I did punching situps for a minute straight. I kicked someone holding a shield so hard they almost fell over. I was told that I have graduated from "girl punches" to "boy punches". Go me.
I grabbed my proverbial balls and applied to school again, in the hopes of eventually, slowly completing my psychology B.A. I've made a concerted effort to read more, interspersing books relating to psychology and sex (my field of interest, hur hur) with books that allow my brain to rest (Terry Pratchett is a godsend). I continue to try and not eat crap, which succeeds 66% of the time.
I made my own tzaziki dip.
So, all in all, focusing on the accomplishments already gained and not on the myriad of things that I still have/want to do, or can't manage to do, or don't want to do but have to do, is providing me with positive proof that attitude is 9/10s of the battle.
There is something soul-fulfilling in taking that and encouraging others. Everytime I say "You rock" to someone, I feel like by association I may also rock a little bit too.
And it keeps making me smile.