Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The United Nations of WTF

I sat down to write something about an article I found in Time (which I will still write), but got sidetracked by learning that the United Nations voted to "removed “sexual orientation” from a resolution that protects people from arbitrary executions. In other words, the UN General Assembly this week voted to allow LGBT people to be executed without cause."

Oh joy.

You can read the article in its entirety over this way, which is at once disturbing and worrisome. It immediately brought to mind the slew of editorials I read after Canada lost it's bid for a UN security council seat. We've been on the council for the last 60 years, and it's been said that we lost this time around due to some of Canada's decisions being "unpopular with the international community".

There's a whole "omg the arabs are taking over the UN" panic side to this story, which I won't touch with a ten foot pole at this time, but at a basic level it seems that to a certain degree it's wise to have "unpopular" opinions around, to force you to question decisions, policy, ideas, votes... you get the idea.

Like the majority vote to give "a de facto green light to the on-going murder of LGBT people by homophobic regimes, death squads and vigilantes."