Friday, December 31, 2010

Hogmany

I was right. It was a very lazy Christmas.

Now it's that time when DownUnder has already celebrated their rollover into the new year, and we anxiously await our turn while the arbitrary timeline zooms towards us across the globe.

I suppose it's customary to reflect upon the year that's passed, the various events that shaped 2010; there are certainly many to choose from. Vancouver Olympics. Haiti's earthquake. Assange and WikiLeaks. Justin Bieber (I still don't get this one). But I'll be honest with you folks out in cyberspace: I never have the desire to reflect upon the year just passed. Partly because my short term memory is crap.

It was just another year. We moved into our new home. Got screwed over by past roomates. We lost our dog in a violent brain tumour. Discovered a terrific couples resort. Slept. Ate. Pooped.

I'm much more interested in the year to come. Scratch that. In the day to come. In the next 24 hours. I can't do anything about the year that's passed, or where I'll be this time next year (possibly still slacking off at blogging and waxing philosophical to myself?). But I can wrap my poor tired brain around the next 24 hours. I can try and set up a nice date for my partner and me (yes that's proper grammar, bitches). Light some candles, maybe do some shopping, take our remaining dog for a walk.

I feel the idea of New Years' Resolutions is doomed to failure, because most self assertions are. I have a friend whose resolutions I always look forward to, because she eschews the self bettering, and instead goes straight to the self fulfilling. One year her resolution was to eat more melty cheese (she succeeded beautifully). Last year I believe it was to eat more ice cream (I'll have to ask how that one went).

So I propose to you this: Resolve to Be Happy, internet people. Be happy for the next 24 hours, because that's the best you can hope for. Tomorrow, resolve to Be Happy for those 24 hours. Do not compare today's Happy to tomorrow's. They are different creatures. Simply live in the Now of Happy.

Resolve to have some Happy today. Let tomorrow worry about tomorrow.

Happy New Years :)

All year round the lover is mad,
Unkempt, lovesick and in disgrace.
Without love there is nothing but grief.
In love… what else matters?

-Rumi