Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Woof

If everything goes as planned (and how often does that happen?) we should be taking home a new dog in a few hours.

On August 13th we lost Mandy (german shepherd mix). It honestly feels like so much longer than just a few months. My partner and I have been looking for a couple of months now, keeping our eyes on the shelters, and as we predicted we knew the moment we saw our (hopefully) new addition that he was awesome, and ours.

He has a lot of the same characteristics of Mandy... not in the look, the coat, the breed. In the eyes. In the way he responds to you. We left the shelter, promising to come back the next day (today) and go through the paperwork to take him home. We drove away talking about him and Sunny (the dog waiting for us at home) and the logistics. Then we stopped talking, and I couldn't stop myself from saying, "I miss Mandy".

We both miss Mandy, and finding a new dog was a far more painful experience than I thought it would be. I feel like saying I'm sorry for bringing a new dog into Mandy's vacated place in our home.

I am so ridiculously excited to meet a new personality and seeing how they fit in with us and our menagerie of fur. I'm also so horribly, painfully sad.

We shall see which wins out in the end today.