Just a quick hullo while I sit at work with my coffee.
Happy to see that some columnists aren't letting the prostitution law debate die quietly in the night. Even if it seems to have all but disappeared from mainstream media, both the Vancouver Sun and the Hamilton Spectator had columns on it today.
John Lowman from the Van Sun makes some well researched points in the vein of Parliament has already reviewed the testimony and evidence of sex workers in 2006 and concluded that "the status quo with respect to Canada's laws dealing with prostitution is unacceptable." Seems that no one could decide on what exactly they should do, so they did nothing. You can't see me but I'm rolling my eyes.
Next up we have Scott Thompson from the Hamilton Spectator (new thing I learnt today: locally, they call it The Spec. Huh.) who actually bothered to talk to a sex worker, and delves into the not-so-seedy underbelly that is the suburban sex trade.
He also mentions an organization that I had no idea exists, called Sex Professionals of Canada (SPOC). But unfortnately I can't comment on it because we have this nifty little firewall at work that blocks unsavoury things. Like that website. Or the clothing store Additionelle. Or the wiki entry for Constance Bay.
Yeah, I don't understand it either.